Thursday 15 March 2012

REVIEW: Nightfall (Dark Age Dawning,#1) by Ellen Connor


Nightfall by Ellen Connor

Publication Date:June 6th 2011
Publisher:Berkley Trade
Paperback, 327 pages




First in a stunning new post-apocalyptic paranormal romance trilogy.

Growing up with an unstable, often absent father who preached about the end of the world, Jenna never thought in her wildest nightmares that his predictions would come true. Or that he would have a plan in place to save her-one that includes the strong, stoic man who kidnaps and takes her to a remote cabin in the Pacific Northwest.

The mysterious ex-Marine named Mason owes a life-debt to Jenna's father. Skilled and steadfast, he's ready for the prophesied Change, but Jenna proves tough to convince. Until the power grid collapses and mutant dogs attack-vicious things that reek of nature gone wrong.

When five strangers appear, desperate to escape the bloodthirsty packs, Jenna defies her protector and rescues them. As technology fails and the old world falls away, Jenna changes too, forever altered by supernatural forces. To fight for their future, she and Mason must learn to trust their instinctive passion-a flame that will see them through the bitter winter, the endless nights, and the violence of a new Dark Age.
Review posted at Book Lovers Inc

Nightfall is a perfect example of how a dystopian pnr novel should be written. I mean both Aguirre and Loft (aka Ellen Connor) have done a splendid job in writing and delivering a world where all hell has broken loose but still people manage to survive and create something new in the ashes of a damaged world.

The world both writers created is dark and wonderful, full of blood and magic and love. The writing style is plainly amazing and to be honest, after reading Enclave by Ann Aguirre I didn't expect anything less. The world portrayed in Nightfall is simply amazing. I loved how a group of so different people struggled to survive and make the best they could given the circumstances.

But despite how much well written is Nightfall, I struggled a bit to finish it. The pacing was somehow uneven, with little things happening in the beginning, then things picked up a bit, slowed down again and finally picked up once more at the end. There were moments that I couldn't really focus in the story.
The romance, although hot at times, also left me a bit uninterested. I couldn't see a spark between the heroes and although I liked them together, they didn't really work for me as a couple. I couldn't understand their reservations and their back and forths at times. Honestly, I just enjoyed more some of the secondary characters rather than the main, my feelings towards whom are a bit indifferent. I just couldn't really care about them, whereas I really enjoyed Tru and I found Penelope a really intriguing character what with her withdrawal and her strange way of acting. Needless to say, I just can't wait to read their story in the third book of the series.


All in all, Nightfall is a really well written novel, that promises the start of an exciting dystopian series and even though I wasn't really thrilled with it, I will definitely read the next books in the same universe. After all, I really want to understand how that universe operates!


2 comments:

  1. I am sorry it disappointed somewhat. Hope your next read is a great one. This is not really my genre, so not on the wishlist ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely well written but I didn't really enjoy it as much as I expected. Let's hope the rest of the book in the series will be better :)

      Delete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails