Friday 20 April 2012

EARLY REVIEW: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa


The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Series: Blood of Eden,#1
Publication Date:
April 24th 2012
Publisher:Harlequin Teen
Hardcover, 485 pages
Book & Purchase Info: Goodreads, Author's Website, Book Depository


In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.


Julie Kagawa, works her miracles again!!! Yeah, The Immortal Rules is that good and then some more! I enjoyed every single bit of this story and the world Kagawa created.


I remember saying it again in my previous reviews of The Iron Fey series but I just have to say it once more: Kagawa's best asset in my personal opinion is her ability to create unique, intricate and astoundingly well built worlds. There, I said it. She's one of the few authors I have encountered in the last couple of years, who has a unique way of envisioning incredible worlds and actually has the ability to make her readers "live" into that world. She has proven herself in the past and she proves it once more.
The world in Immortal Rules is just amazing. Dark, violent and simply the kind of world that could travel me.
One could rationally assume that The Immortal Rules would be a book about vampires we have more or less already read. Let's be honest, the vampire myth is one of the most used of the last years, so I personally was afraid that this story wouldn't be that unique... But no, Kagawa proves me wrong and I couldn't be more happy about it!


The world in Immortal Rules is engrossing, dark and something that I haven't read before. I really liked the idea of some kind of zombie-vampires, I loved how at last vampires experience bloodlust, that despite their best intentions, not consuming blood turns them into mindless beasts, and to not tire you with my endless gushing, there wasn't a simple thing I didn't like about this book :)


Allison is one of my favorite characters and not because I agreed with all her decisions or the way she acted the whole time. She is one of my favorite characters because she was a fighter. She fought for her life constantly. She fought for what she believed was right, even if that was wrong. Was she stubborn? Did her actions result in disaster occasionally? Sure. But all that made her believable. A character that made mistakes and had to live with them. And let's face it. There's no perfect hero as there is no perfect person. And for all that, Allison is one of my favorite characters.


The story was rather long and it wasn't always easy-flowing. I admit there were parts I was a bit tired, but who cares? I'm a sucker for detailed worlds, even when they tire me a bit. I just want to know every single detail about how the story ticks and The Immortal Rules had all that.


All in all, Julie Kagawa delivers yet again a wonderful story that all lovers of YA literature just have to read. Believe me you won't regret it. I sure didn't :)


* This title was reviewed via NetGalley

2 comments:

  1. Great review Anna, I am glad you liked it this much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!
    Great review!! I'm so happy you loved this book more than I did!;)

    I was stopping by to say Happy Friday & hope you have a very wonderful weekend!!! Hope your doing well, we need to catch up!!:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails