Monday 23 April 2012

EARLY REVIEW: Masque of The Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Masque of The Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Series: Masque of The Red Death, #1
Publication Date:April 24th 2012
Publisher:Harper Collins
Hardcover, 320 pages
Book & Purchase Info: Goodreads, Author's Website, Book Depository




Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.


Masque of the Red Death is one of those books that makes it really difficult for me to rate them... It's one of those books that are really well written, with a unique story that technically are really good in almost everything, but I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy it as much as I expected to...

Let's start with the good parts of Masque of the Red death.

First of all, let me state that I haven't read the classic by Edgar Allan Poe. So, I can't say if it is close or not. I can't possibly compare this story to the one it is inspired from. I have read though a bit of Poe's work, so I can say that Bethany Griffin managed to capture the essence of Poe's work. There was that darkness and craziness of Poe's work in her story. Her main character Araby might as well have lived in one of Poe's stories. With my limited knowledge of Poe's work I can say that much at least. I really liked the darkness in her, how she acted in an almost crazy way but there was a simple logic in everything she did. I really don't know how to express myself better here.

Griffin's writing style is the other thing I really loved in this book. She's a really talented writer, gutsy and I honestly believe that we should expect great things from her. The world she created is an interesting mix of dystopian and steampunk and all that in a setting inspired by Poe's work. How much more of a unique setting could one expect? It completely amazed me to be honest.

But despite all that, as I said, I just couldn't really enjoy this book or get into it. I started reading it feeling intrigued with everything that happened, but soon after the first 1/3 of the book I had just lost my interest... I can't really pinpoint the exact reason. Maybe it just wasn't the kind of story that could grab my interest. And I tend to believe that this is the sole reason for not getting into the story. Because like I said, it is a really good book otherwise.

The romance between Araby and Will or Araby and Elliott just fell flat to me. I couldn't feel a spark with either of the guys, I'm afraid. Granted, Araby and Will is my favorite couple and I was more interested in those two, but still, I can't say that I was awed with the romantic element of the story. Maybe because I was overwhelmed with everything else that happened and I felt more drawn to the idea of the masks that dominated the whole story for me more than anything else.

All in all, Masque of the Red Death, is a really good book. Should I had to rate it without taking into consideration how invested I got into the story, it would be a 4 or 5 rating. But since I just couldn't really get into it, I'll settle for a 3 star rating. But despite my personal likeness of the book, I really believe that it is a quite unique one that anyone should read.


*This title was reviewed via Edelweiss

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you just don't have that click with a book, it can happen. Hope your next read will be better :)

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails