Thursday 9 August 2012

REVIEW: Flawless by Carrie Lofty



Flawless by Carrie Lofty

Series: The Christies, #1
Publication Date:September 27th 2011
Publisher:Pocket Books
Edition:Paperback, 416 pages
Useful Info: Goodreads, Author's Website, Book Depository


A passion this seductive is more precious than diamonds...

Sir William Christie, ruthless tycoon and notorious ladies' man, is dead. Now his four grown children have gathered for the reading of his will. What lies in store for stepsiblings Vivienne, Alexander, and twins Gareth and Gwyneth? Stunning challenges that will test their fortitude across a royal empire...and lead them to the marvelously passionate adventures of their lives.

Lady Vivienne Bancroft fled England for New York, hoping to shed the confines of her arranged marriage to unrepentant rogue Miles Durham, Viscount Bancroft—though she never forgot the fiery desire he unleashed with his slightest touch. And when the gambling man arrives on her doorstep for a little sensual revenge for her desertion, he is met with Vivienne's dilemma: She must earn her father's inheritance by profitably running a diamond business worth millions in colonial South Africa.

Swept together in an exotic undertaking filled with heated passion and hungry temptation, will Vivienne and Miles discover that the marriage vows they once made are the greatest snare—or the most treasured reward?

Flawless is the first book I read written by Carrie Lofty. Granted, I was acquainted with the author before while co-writing with Ann Aguirre under the pen name Ellen Connor, so yes, I knew she was a great author, but after reading Flawless, well, I have to admit that historical romance is truly her strongest element.

Lofty's writing style is natural and straight to the point and her fresh perspective of the genre made Flawless all the more enjoyable. I mean we are talking about a historical romance book set in Cape Town, what more could I ask for something new and fresh? Granted, there are other books with similar exotic settings out there, but it's the first one for me, so I just have to say it: I was completely mesmerised by the descriptions and the way Lofty presented her story.

Instead of dealing with formal etiquette and restrictions as many other books of the genre usually do, Lofty took as to a journey far way from everything common, where people live differently and everyone has a chance to become something better or worse. She took her readers on a journey to a town where so much wealth is gathered and hope but depravity as well. That's the place where the author chose to bring her main couple together in hopes of saving their lives and maybe their marriage.

As I said, my favorite part of Flawless was easily the setting and the writing style. Carrie Lofty is just that an amazing author. The other part I truly enjoyed was that Flawless, wasn't your typical HR novel for yet another reason. Here we have some adventure woven in the plot as well and the protagonists fight for their lives and not only in a physical but also in a mental way. I don't really want to say much about the way the story unfolds, because that would spoil things, but trust me when I say that everything about Flawless screams unique and amazing!

The only complain I have here, is that for some reason, I wasn't swept off my feet with the romantic plot, not that it was bad or uninteresting, I just felt that it could have been a little better. But that's a matter of preference, so that's maybe me :)

All in all, Flawless was a fresh and interesting start to a series I will most certainly continue reading!

2 comments:

  1. I love historical romance and some adventure as well. Sounds awesome. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, this series is on my wishlist, and I hope to read the first book soon.

    ReplyDelete

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails