Tuesday 11 September 2012

REVIEW: Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost


Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Series:Night Prince, #1
Publication Date:June 26th 2012
Publisher:Avon
Mass Market Paperback, 346 pages
Useful Info: Goodreads, Author's Website, Book Depository

She's a mortal with dark powers...

After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: terrifying powers that let her channel electricity and learn a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude...until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire...

He's the Prince of Night...

Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all—but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him—a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, however, passion ignites between them, threatening to consume them both. It will take everything that they are to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames.

Review first published at Book Lovers Inc

Jeaniene Frost is back! And with a novel I highly anticipated from the moment I read that Vlad would finally get not only one book but his own series of books! Once Burned, is here folks, and it's mind-blowingly amazing!

Vlad is HOT! Shock news here, I know, but I can't stress that enough. From the first moment his character was introduced in the Night Huntress books, it was love at first sight, kind of like my feelings towards Bones :) Well, I might be sentimental and Bones will always be first in my heart but Vlad is equally hot and sensual in ways Bones never "explored". His possessiveness, his arrogance, his natural sexiness, all that makes Vlad an alpha male of his own league! Do I need to gush a little more over how much I love Vlad or do you get the picture?

Leila was a nice character, strong and her power, well, I wasn't really expecting that. But coming to think about it Leila was the perfect match for Vlad with her ability to electrocute everyone except for him. Their chemistry was sizzling hot! The scene where Leila gets a flash of the future with Vlad "working" on the lower half of her body and their reaction to the vision afterwards was delightful! After all, it's no news that Jeaniene Frost knows how to pull off sexy scenes.

The plot is standard Jeaniene Frost book plot. Nothing extraordinary but at the same time I just found myself unable to put the book down. Which is common for me for all the books of this author. And a thing I really appreciated is that when things went south, Cat and Bones didn't make their appearance to save the day like in First Drop of Crimson for instance. Not that I would have minded, but I appreciated how Vlad took care things himself, not relying on anyone else. After all, I wasn't expecting anything less of him :)

Granted, Cat, Bones, Mencheres and Kira made their appearance but it was a short one, just to add a couple of funny notes in the narration. The scene where Bones teaches Leila how to bloke her mind was precious!

The thing I really loved, well, apart from all that sexiness, was how Frost worked on Vlad's history and background, presenting something fresh with a villain that has nothing to do with the previous books set in the same universe and I seriously hope that more than two books will eventually be written about Vlad. What can I say, I just can't get enough of him.

All in all, Once Burned was everything that I had hoped it will be, introducing a heroine I enjoyed reading about and preparing the ground for at least one more great book. Highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Current Giveaways


Related Posts with Thumbnails